Saturday, July 23, 2011

Tyler's Potty

I've been wondering when to start potty training Tyler. I don't want to start too soon and have an episode similar to the toddler bed fiasco (which by the way is going MUCH smoother now), but much like the toddler bed fiasco, this kid has begun some habits that are almost forcing me to begin potty training earlier than planned. Not only has he shown an incredible interest in the potty and all that goes in one, but he has decided he hates having a diaper on.

I found him like this one afternoon when I realized things seemed all too quiet in his bedroom. When he goes to the bathroom now, particularly number 2, he takes off his diaper, usually bringing it to me as if offering some wonderful gift. Aside from the obvious solution of keeping clothes on him 24/7, I began wondering if maybe, just maybe, he was ready for the big boy potty! And so, we went shopping.
We picked out the best big boy potty Target had to offer - complete with a toilet seat, lid, flusher, and toilet paper holder. And get this - it sings a song when you go. Who wouldn't want to go to the potty on that? Tyler thought it was the best thing ever.

Since Tyler still only tells me he has to go potty after he goes potty, I have decided that we will call this phase of potty training - "Becoming Familiar with the Potty." I haven't put him in underwear or even pull-ups, I just let him sit on the potty whenever he wants to and talk about going to the bathroom like a big boy. He has yet to actually go in the potty, but he still has to put the toilet lid down, flush, and wash his hands before he'll leave the bathroom. It's pretty cute! Now we just wait for Tyler to be ready.

(you may wonder if I ever dress my child - be assured, generally I do)


No comments: