Friday, February 13, 2009

My New Job

After several quick and successive random events, I find myself the newest kindergarten teacher at Riverside Preparatory School.  How did that happen, you may ask.  I hardly know myself.  It happened so fast I have hardly processed it.  Just two days ago I was planning activities to fill my new found spare time, and now I am praying that I will make it alive through the next school year.   

It all started last week when the other two kindergarten teachers attacked me in the hall and told me I needed to come work with them next year.  "I'll think about it," I told them.  Then there I am this past Thursday sitting at my desk eating lunch (which, according to msn.com is the #1 germiest spot in the work place - good thing I eat my lunch there...) and happen to come upon a confusing update on the 
education website.  My job, or what I thought was my job, was up for hire.  You can imagine my reaction.  Was I getting fired and they didn't even have the gall to tell me!?  I rushed to speak with the personnel person and demanded I be told my crime if I was losing my job. She stuttered her surprise and told me that I could apply for the position.  Apply for my own job?  What is this craziness?  I went back to my room in a panic.  A couple hours later, in a calmer state, I called her boss and my boss, the head of personnel, to find out what was going on.  Turns out it wasn't my job, but a new job they were creating that sounded just like my job - my new co-teacher so to speak. 
Anyway, I knew it was now or never.  If I was working full time I might as well try something new.  The idea of teaching music full time again did not sound appealing.  And Mark and I had felt good about it when we had talked about it.  So I asked, "Do you think I could be considered for the full time kinder position instead?"  Surely, I will get back to you.  2 hours later I was informed I was accepted.  I honestly, truly did not expect a response that fast.  My brain had hardly accepted the fact that I had even asked 
and now here I was facing a year of 7 hours a day, 5 days a week with 5 year olds.  Am I crazy?  We'll see.  I am excited, nervous, scared, incredulous, and more.  I think it will be a good and eventful year!  Get ready for some crazy blog posts!  







8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The blog posts can only get better from here!

Ceri said...

Oh my goodness, that is crazy, congrats! How are you feeling now? I think this is wonderful! So is it like a year by year decision? I am so excited for you!:)

Becca said...

Dang Elaina, what the heck?! YOU ARE NUTS :) Haha. it will be fun for you and I'm sure the kids will love you! So you won't be teaching music or cheerleading next year then?

Heather and Paul said...

Wow!! I wish you could be Timmy's teacher!! He would love that!! Good luck we miss you!!!!

Kerri Viehweg said...

You will be great! Congratulations:) Can't wait to hear all about it.

Kristy said...

I am so jealous! Kindergarten at Riverside Prep is my favorite place to be! Congratulations! It will be awesome. My dad was an awesome kindergarten teacher - he could give you some great pointers!

Ashley said...

My sister is a kindergarten teacher and LOVES it. And boy does she have stories ... :)Best of luck with that!

Missy said...

lots to catch up on. that's what happens when i don't enter the blogging world for ages. congrats on kindergarten! you'll be a great teacher. make sure to keep a quote wall, even if the kids don't ever see it. those kids say the funniest things.