Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tyler's First Week

Alright, trying to play catch up here. I've divided my pictures into weeks. This post is his first week, leading up to his one week birthday. This whole week was a blur to me. I was still healing and still needed help getting up and sitting down, but regardless, I just reveled in my new baby. He is such a good baby! So happy and content, hardly ever crying. He is just perfect. That week I held him for hours and hours and just looked at his perfect little everything! One of my favorite things are his hands. He has such big hands for a baby. Mark says so he can palm a basketball. I say so he can play the piano and reach those crazy chords. I was lucky to have my mom here and Mark was off for Thanksgiving, so I was able to spend as much time as I wanted with Tyler. Sure he slept most the time, but it didn't matter. I just loved looking at him. Sometimes I just wanted to squeeze him! He is just so so cute!!
This week we also had his first well baby appointment. The doctor said he was strong and healthy and every single nurse commented on his little handsome face. The funniest part of the whole appointment was the beginning. Up to this point, Tyler had only had little poops and we had been spared any jetstreams of pee, but at the doctor's office, once we had that diaper off he, first, gave us a little fountain show of his own making and then came the world's longest pooping session ever! I swear it lasted a good 5-7 minutes. I would wipe only to have more come out! (I know you really want to hear all this, but it was funny. The nurses were dying). And Tyler was just chill the whole time. Probably felt good to get all that out...
Here is documentation of that moment, plus look at his hands:
However, that doctor's appt. also marked the beginning of my brief, yet poignant baby blues experience. The doctor said he had lost weight, which most babies do, but that she wanted to have him come back for a weigh in. On his one week birthday we brought him in for the weigh-in and he hadn't gained a single oz. A well meaning nurse only made things worse when she "advised" that we supplement and told us that if he kept losing weight he would have brain development problems. As a brand new mom I already felt inadequate and now I felt for sure I was killing my baby! And thus the crying and anxiety began. It only lasted about two or three days, but for those few days I think Mark thought for sure his wife had gone off the deep end. Luckily, all was well and at his next weigh-in two days later he had gained a solid 3 oz!

Anyway, even with all that crying and anxiety, I still enjoyed every second with my baby! Here are some more pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Haha, now that outfit hardly fits him and he was drowning in it then.
With big hands comes an uncanny ability to gauge eyes out and thus for this first week he was almost always in little mittens.

He loves sticking out his tongue!
So little!
Mama's boy.
Father and son.
Second family picture the day after we came home from the hospital.
A video of Tyler - one week old. I know he's just laying there, but he does yawn and sneeze and besides, he's just so stinkin' cute!

No comments: