Saturday, March 27, 2010

Oh Dear . . .

I am pretty sure people have given up looking at my blog, but I'm still here. So here we go - catch up. (There are pictures on this post, I promise) Tyler's third month: His third month started out a bit rough. About a week after his 2 month appointment I was changing his diaper and saw blood! I called Mark and then called the doctor who got us in right away. Thus started a week long journey of doctors, tests, and a whole new eating style for us. The pediatrician sent us for blood tests and x-rays and saw a suspicious spot on the xray. We went home with the orders to watch for high fever and to return the next day for a follow up xray. You can't just do that to a mom - leave her hanging with a suspicious spot like that! That night Mark gave Tyler a blessing - I'm so so thankful for the priesthood! The next day we came back and the follow up x-ray showed a normal baby tummy! But there was still blood in the diaper so off to a pediatric GI specialist we went. The specialist diagnosed Tyler with a milk protein allergy and put him on prescription formula for the rest of his baby life. Now a milk protein allergy is not lactose intolerance. It is an allergy to the protein in milk which is the same protein in soy, whey, gluten, eggs, and some other things. So there was no changing my diet and fixing the problem. He needed to be on this formula. I'll be honest - that was really hard for me to hear and I really missed nursing my baby. It's funny now, but for a while I would look at the chair I always nursed him in and get all nostalgic and sad. At first it was a constant fight with lots of tears from both me and Tyler. Trying to get an exclusively breastfed baby to go cold turkey to some nasty formula is not an easy task. But after a couple weeks you would have thought he was born drinking the stuff. The allergy will make introducing solids a trial and error game, but we will make it. The good news is that he will grow out of most of the allergies, if not all of them by the time he is 1 or 2.
Aside from that the only other sad thing that happened during his third month was mommy going back to work :( In all honesty, the fact that he was on a bottle when I went back did make it easier. Blessings in disguise. The rest of the third month was spent playing, growing, and developing.

Cute baby!
He loves his bear
Some of my favorite videos of Tyler during his third month:
In the first video, Tyler had been smiling up a storm and then once Mark got out the camera he decided it would be more fun to stare instead. At the very beginning of the video you can catch a bit of the smiling.
I just think the second video is funny, because he would get so excited when he saw his toy.

No comments: