Sunday, October 5, 2008

A tree or not a tree?

This post is for all those who mistakenly thought that a Joshua Tree was a "real" tree.  A Joshua Tree is actually a cactus that happens to have bark down somewhere near the roots.  Falling into a Joshua Tree would probably feel comparable to falling onto a bed a needles.  Did you know that it is illegal to cut down, set fire to, or otherwise destroy a Joshua Tree?  Weird, huh?  People have to grow, build, and cultivate around all Joshua Trees.  Hence the reason, this one is still randomly placed in our backyard.  I've often wondered why they don't have that law about real trees down here.  It seems that the Joshua Trees by far outnumber the real trees and if anything is threatening extinction around here, it's real trees.  Hmmm, food for thought.       

Here is the Joshua Tree in our backyard.  I think it's still relatively young, so it's lacking many of its arms (aka branches).

A close up of the needles - OUCH!

This is a mature Joshua Tree in our neighbors yard.  So many lovely arms.

There is, however, an underground river that runs through Apple Valley.  Along this river an abundance of real trees grow.  I love it!  When you are up high enough you can see a green strip winding through the desert.  I think it's so interesting to see that contrast.  Living down here has definitely helped me understand better the phrase "living water."  I tried taking a picture of it, but it's really hard to see.  Plus, my computer is being dumb and it won't upload - so I will try to post a picture later.  

2 comments:

Holly said...

Ah yes, one of the many reasons I love reading your blog is to see some Desert living, since those were Jasper and my stomping grounds. *sigh* So I never realized that you married a rock climber too! Do you go out with Mark and do it together? I've been a loser about keeping up with blogs, so you'll have to excuse my lameness. Congrats on the house IT LOOKS AMAZING! Glad things are going so well for you guys. Later, Holly Mesarch

Kristy said...

I love the post on the Joshua Tree. I think they are so strange. I remember driving around and we would call them the spooky trees. The guy who took our wedding photos thought they were so great he made us stand by one so he could take our picture with the Joshua Tree.