Friday, August 15, 2014

Ross Family Reunion

After driving back to Salem and spending a night at a hotel, we drove to Tillamook for the Ross family reunion with my mom, Jim, and some aunts, uncles, and cousins. Another terrifically fun trip! Seriously, my kids are never going to be satisfied with lame ol' summers ever again!

*A random, for memory sake side note. For some reason whilst in Oregon Tyler found the most random places to sleep and terrified me twice. I had this fear that he would follow someone outside and get hopelessly lost. The first time, in Sunriver, Mark and Kyle had gone on a bike ride and a little while later I realized I hadn't seen Tyler for a while. I searched all over the house and ran around outside screaming his name. Someone finally found him fast asleep under the dining room table completely hidden under a blanket. Who sleeps like that? The second time was at the beach. Mark woke up early to go on a run. When I woke up Tyler was not in his bed and no where to be found. Once again I ran around the whole house and outside terrified that he had tried to follow Mark and gotten lost. Finally someone found him fast asleep on a couch completely covered in pillows. REALLY? That kid needs to find better ways to sleep. Ok now back to the regular post.

Our beach house was up a steep, big hill covered in bushes and trees. Getting down to the beach was a slip, sliding adventure, going back up was a completely different story. The ground was sand so basically it was a two steps forward, one step back kind of progress. On our first trip to the beach we found a whole sand dollar and lots of other broken shells. Clara loved running around until she stepped in a deceptively deep puddle and got soaked. I then had to carry her wet, sopping body up that ridiculous hill. Every time I stopped to breathe she cried even louder. It's pretty cold at the Oregon coast, especially when you're soaked. Talk about exercise! 
Before the fall in the puddle.


 For Clara's birthday, my mom made her this princess dress....
 And this matching princess quilt, with built in pockets for stuffed princess dolls. Clara LOVED the presents. I have a hard time convincing her to wear a different dress long enough for me to wash the princess dress.


 Tyler giving some loves to grandma

 My mommy and auntie.
 Nap time with grandma
Tyler fell in love with grandma's dog. He followed her around the whole time and wanted to hold her constantly! Someday we'll have to get this kid a dog...someday.
 Tyler and cousin Jackson with great grandma. Grandma loved being with lots of her family all under one roof. 

You can't be in Tillamook and not go to the Tillamook Cheese Factory. We had a delicious lunch at the Tillamook cafe of grilled cheese and ice cream.

 Tyler in the cheese van

 Farmer Mark and Cow Tyler
Lots and lots of beach pictures:

 On one of Mark's runs he discovered this cave that leads to a different beach with lots of tide pools and fun things to see. The next day we all woke up early so we could take the kids while the tide was low enough. 
At the mouth of the cave.





The rocks were covered...I mean completely covered in sea life. If you walked on them you squished life. Some rocks were covered with shells and muscles, but some were covered with thousands of sea anemones - every square inch. I wish I could have seen them all when they were covered in water and opened up. It must be super colorful! There were also tons of starfish! 

 This isn't a cave, it's actually a big hole in the rock. 

 Tyler took these..hence the finger.
 We found a live jelly fish in a tide pool. No touchy!
 I finally talked Tyler into touching an anemone. 
 He obviously loved it......
 We found the biggest crab we'd seen yet. It was alive! But when we came back later it was gone. So we had to settle for this dead one. 

 Dead or alive...Tyler didn't want much to do with it at first.
 He eventually got more comfortable. 



Another wonderful trip with my wonderful family! It was so much fun that I really struggled when we had to leave. So did the kids. For days afterward they kept asking when we'd go back to Oregon. Hopefully soon kids, hopefully soon!


1 comment:

Christy said...

Cheese van? Sounds like my dream car...

Also, Tyler has the right idea. Sleep camouflaged, thereby your sleep goes undisturbed as long as possible. I think I know where I'm going to rest my head tonight :)