Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"Oh Say Can You Seeeeeee..."

During our spring break this year, we went to Washington DC.  The first day, we bussed in from Arlington and started our sight seeing.  It was frigid and I had only brought a sweatshirt.  Luckily as the day wore on it actually got quite warm - well warm enough to lose the gloves, ear muffs, and scarf - but about mid afternoon, the wind started blowing and, from my Oregon experience, I knew it would rain and did it ever!  It PORED and we were, I think, 11 or more blocks from the right bus station.  By the time we got on the bus we were soaked through and frozen solid.  From this experience, I learned a very important thing about myself - I could never be a pioneer woman.  The next day was much better, weatherwise, and we decided, who needs buses?  We left the house and walked through Arlington Cemetery, across the Potomac, and into DC.  I think I kept singing "Pioneer children sang as they walked, and walked, and walked, and walked, and walked, and walked, and walked, and walked....etc."   Once we were picked up by my aunt we spent the rest of our trip relaxing is West Virginia.  We had so much fun with my aunt and uncle and her family - playing guitar hero, watching movies, going to historic towns.  I loved every minute I spent with them.  We also visited some of Mark's extended family. Anyway, the trip came to an end too quickly and we were back to life.  I hope you enjoy the pictures.    

I thought I was quite the creative genius for this picture - what with the reflection and all.  This is the Vietnam Memorial and it is overwhelming.  All those names.  It is beautiful though and many people still leave flowers and pictures stuck in the cracks of the walls to honor the soldiers.  

"I Have A Dream"

Mark wanted to take a picture with one of the soldier statues - but that would have been highly disrespectful and we probably would have gotten in trouble - so we did what we could. 

Self-explanatory

I don't know technically how close we were allowed to get to the exhibits - couldn't resist.

Shout out to Oregon - land of the green, where waters flow and plants grow.  O beloved home, when shall I see thee again??  Who said I should teach music - bring on poetry!

Yay, California. 

What was that, Mr. President?

K, Mark, you're up next - don't forget to pull the right cord.  

Our bud, Abe.

This memorial was actually really awesome.  FDR has pretty much a whole park dedicated to him.  These are only two of the several memorials about his life and accomplishments as president.  Lots of good quotes too.

Mark didn't want to do this, but I made him.  I know, I'm mean.

He didn't want to do this either.

But I REALLY didn't want to do that.  Which is the more embarrassing one? I win hands down.

We came during the middle of the cherry blossom festival.  Here is a lovely shot of the blossoms, the Jefferson Memorial, and me with beef jerky.  

The other side of the Potomac - again a lovely shot of the blossoms, the Washington Monument, and Mark - no beef jerky.  It was really beautiful.  

The Washington Monument - it was so so so so so cold that morning.  Check out Mark's face - now he looks cold.  At least I had ear muffs, gloves, and a scarf.

On our last night in DC we went to the DC temple.  It is breathtaking!  We are laughing in this picture because I tried to kiss Mark - but if you remember from a previous post - Mark hates PDA and wouldn't have any of it in front of a temple.  But, I mean come on, with weddings and all I'm sure this temple has seen plenty of lip action.  



No comments: